Re: Help with P2k UTLX Tank Car?

Steve and Barb Hile

I know that Richard Hendrickson consulted with Life Like on their Proto 2000 tank cars, so I would be somewhat confident about the numbering and lettering.  But…

The car would definitely not be an X-3.  That was the UTLX design.  On the end, where X-3 is, it should be a letter Z.  That was UTLX’s designation for cars that were not its own design.  (XM is, of course, a boxcar.)

The other problem is that cars in the 60000 series were, generally, insulated.  So, according to a 1952 listing of UTLX cars, which Richard provided to me, years ago

60350 was a class Z car with a 10000 gallon capacity, but it was also insulated, which the P2k car is not.

I hope that this is useful information.

Regards,

Steve Hile