From: "'Mike Brock' brockm@... [STMFC]"
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2014 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: we all know hoppers dont travel right?

Brian Carlson writes:

"Pennsy steam years Volume 3 page 46. Our esteemed listmaster, make a
comment about the UP hoppers not going far afield and challenged anyone to
find a photo. I showed him that and got an adult beverage at Prototype
Rails, didn't help with the cookies though. Thanks for letting me rub it in
again!"

Ah, but Brian...anything to expand our knowledge base. BTW, one sighting
that has always puzzled me...for lack of confirmation...was that produced by
the late Ross Grenard. Ross was a well known author of narrow gauge Colorado
RR's AND the UP. He apparenly rode the only pre 3985 UP steam excursion
pulled by a Challenger [ 3967 I think ] during the '50's. Anyhow, incredibly
[ by today's standards ], the UP stopped the train up on Sherman Hill and
let riders off to watch UP trains roll by. According to Ross, one of those
trains consisted entirely of Pennsy hopper cars carrying coal...presumably
because of a coal strike on UP served mines or a threat of one. I knew Ross
well enough to have faith in what he said. And, no, I have not assembled a
long train of Pennsy hopper cars that I run every 18,000 trains I run [ see
below ]. One thing that we might overlook when we discuss these sometimes
bizarre sightings is the sheer numbers. Apparently the Grenard sighting was
a one time occurrence [ but, actually, who knows? ]. If so, during 1957 when
the excursion occurred [ I think ], there were about 18,000 trains moving
over the Hill. Even the fanatical UP photographers weren't there for all
18,000...were they?

BTW, I have to say that there was another excursion in which the RR let
people wander around the tracks with no supervision. I watched Ex N&W 611
come up Saluda with people all over the place. The operation was not a run
by as such because they certainly did not stop to let people off.

Mike Brock

Posted by: "Mike Brock" <brockm@...>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional