Re: UTLX tank car

Charles Morrill

Thanks to all for the info.  Is there a good photo of a 5xxxx series type X published somewhere?  I’d like to have one of these in my O scale roster one day.  I already have a type V built from a On3 kit and converted back to standard gauge.

Charlie

Sent: Friday, December 05, 2014 9:03 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] UTLX tank car

I agree that this is a type X car.  UTLX did a lot of converting of older cars for new services by adding heater coils, which it the reason for the patch on the car end.  So, this car would have been in a 5xxxx number series.  It appears that at this or some time, they have also replaced the screw type dome cover with the bolted style and they were able to add the single safety valve, which is all that is required for cars from 6500 gallons capacity and lower.  This car does appear to be this size, judging for the large number of photos I have studied over the years.

It’s a neat picture to see, for sure.

Regards,

Steve Hile