From: Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]
To: STMFC
Sent: Wed, Dec 17, 2014 1:32 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Bridge Traffic and Stock cars

Arved Grass wrote:

Generally, neighboring railroads only. I'm sure there were exceptions, but rules required fairly frequent disembarking of the stock carried for feeding watering, and car cleaning. The railroad generally wouldn't wait for the same car to be cleaned, so they'd use their own if available.

        I think this generalization is all right. But there are certainly exceptions visible in photos. I have photos of both D&RGW and MKT stock cars in San Luis Obispo, and photos of MP, T&P and CB&Q stock cars in Los Angeles. These are kind of "neighboring" railroads for the SP, but at distances probably requiring at least one intermediate stock resting stop. But the predominant pattern, I'm sure, is as Arved states.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.s ignaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history