Re: SR pulpwood car

O Fenton Wells

Robert,  In the February 1956 Model Railroader there is an O scale construction article for a Southern pulpwood car that appears to be a 10 stake pocket flat car with bulkhead ends and low wooden sides attached.  The number used on the model does not match any Southern flat cars or LP cars in the January 1952 ORER or January 1957 ORER. I can find no correlation between the MR article and an actual SR rack.  My guess is that this was based off the 116xxx and 117xxx cars that SR rebuilt from flat cars.

Is the car accurate and numbered incorrectly or actually a model of a car from another road?  The modeling is very nice even by today's standards but is the car freelanced? It is a nice model but it tells you how far we have come in prototype modeling.

Speaking of reversed dreadnaught ends the Southern made pulpwood cars from boxcars with reversed dreadnaught ends. Yes these were built in 1951 from the 148xxx series 40 foot double door boxcars from 1924 for the SR (Sunshine did the boxcar in HO a few years back).  WrighTrak does the pulpwood rack today in HO).
Fenton Wells

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 4:25 PM, dssa1051@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

In the February 1956 Model Railroader there is an O scale construction article for a Southern pulpwood car that appears to be a 10 stake pocket flat car with bulkhead ends and low wooden sides attached.  The number used on the model does not match any Southern flat cars or LP cars in the January 1952 ORER or January 1957 ORER.

Is the car accurate and numbered incorrectly or actually a model of a car from another road?  The modeling is very nice even by today's standards but is the car freelanced?

Speaking of reversed dreadnaught ends the Southern made pulpwood cars from boxcars with reversed dreadnaught ends.

Robert Oom

--
Fenton Wells
5 Newberry Lane