Re: Georgia rr usra box car color

Todd Horton

I know this is a late reply but somehow I missed this message. The C of G got 2 different lots of the 50’ cars with the “blimp” plant scheme. These came in 54’ and 56’. The C of G cars came from Pullman and had no affiliation to the Georgia Railroad. It is worth noting that the A&WP 50’ shared a similar car body with a 9’ door to the C of G cars. Kadee has offered both of these 56’ era cars.   Todd Horton

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...]
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:25 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Georgia rr usra box car color

Gene Green wrote:

"This seemed somewhat germane.

'The Central of Georgia has ordered 500 50-ft, 9-ft-door box cars from Pullman-Standard, for anticipated delivery in March 1956, at an estimated cost of nearly $3.5 million. The cars will be painted with the aluminum oval design, on a black background, developed for the 500 box cars which the CofG purchased from Pullman last year.' Copied from the August 8, 1955, RAILWAY AGE, page 12."

Not really:
1. Georgia Railroad =/= Central of Georgia
2. GA RR USRA SS rebuilds =/= CofGa 50 ft PS-1

Unfortunately, this only muddies the water and adds to the confusion.

Ben Hom