Re: Mystery Gondola Kit

Gary Roe

Thanks to all who responded.  I will be tracking down all of the suggestions.  Andy's description of the cars sides (below) is spot on, right down to the tie down clips.  The sides exhibit the characteristics of injection molding; but are a quite flexible, gray plastic.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

To: "STMFC@..."
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Mystery Gondola Kit

Sounds to me that you are describing the National Car Casting NYC 52' fishbelly gondola. If so, it would have tie down clips engraved into the sides. These cars were very similar to the Bethlehem
cars made by Martin Lofton, later P2K. these were cast in a ABS type of plastic. These kit parts were made in Canada my recollection reminds me.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

To: "STMFC@..."
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 7:05 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Mystery Gondola Kit

I have a couple gondola "kits" that were acquired from the estate of a friend of mine who was a prototype modeler and Texas & Pacific fan.  The kits consist of nothing more than the two sides and ends (which are injection molded), and some very basic (useless) instructions.  The sides scale 51'-6" long, and measure 3'-6" above the row of rivets representing where the floor would be.  The sides are fish belly and have 15 panels.  The ends are fixed, flat plates with two vertical braces above the coupler pocket.  There is a photocopy of the sides and ends with the name T. C. Schmidt printed on it.

I know this is a long shot; but does anyone have an idea of what prototype this is supposed to represent?  My friend modeled the late WWII era, so I assume these are for a car from that era; but that could be a bad assumption.

Any leads will be much appreciated.  Thanks!

gary roe
quincy, illinois

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.