Re: Klein Modellbahn 2-dome tank car

Thomas Baker

Thorsten's explanation clarifies something that has mystified me for several years.  In 2000 I was leaving the Frankfurt-Bahnhof railway station enroute to Rothenburg ob der Tauber.  On the way out of the station I caught a glimpse of a two-dome tankcar.  The train was moving fast, so that I did not get a long enough look to determine whether the car still had its trucks, but seeing an American tankcar while riding the Deutsche Bahn threw me.  It didn't make sense.  So thanks for the clarification, Thorsten.

Tom Baker

From: STMFC@... on behalf of Thorsten Petschallies t.petschallies@... [STMFC]
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2015 5:08 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: AW: [STMFC] Klein Modellbahn 2-dome tank car

Hello Richard,

the prototype cars were built for the USTC during WW2.

AFAIK, they were shipped as kits to Great Britain, assembled there and then brought over to Europe after D day.

They were taken over by a number of European railroads and private owners after the end of WW2, though I don’t have exact information.

Also the USTC used them for supply during the cold war.

Roco has taken over the Klein molds.

They have announced USTC and DB version as 2015 releases.

http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?10,7246461

See pages 123 and 139.

Thorsten Petschallies

Hamburg, Germany