Re: Athearn container gondolas

caboose9792@...

The IC server the calcium carbide plant at Calvert city KY. As late as the mid 2000's the PAL handed off carbide containers to the BNSF on an equipped car for containers.  The metal alloy plant next to the carbide plant got foundry sand from nearby Murray KY in containers. Routing was by way of the Paducah KY to the L&N and the waybills I have indicate a few L&N cars were in assigned service.

IC lettering diagrams should still be available for the IC gons via the Illinois railway museum's Pullman library. The reference number is IC-H740 when ordering.

Mark Rickert

In a message dated 1/15/2015 1:13:18 A.M. Central Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:
The 1955 IC Freight Car Diagram book shows 24 low side (3 1/2' sides)
steel gons modified for containers.

The 1960 Equipment List shows 37 steel gons with 5 foot sides equipped
to carry calcium carbide in containers. AAR designation LG inside length
37'8" capacity 1672 cu ft, 140,000 pounds.

Somewhere I have a photo of one of the low side gons.

Jeff White
Alma, IL