Re: drop run ladders - a better way?

Greg Martin

Rob,

I will give you my solution and Craig Zeni has another and Schuyler Larrabee has another.

I used a jig to create the holes as they need to be the same on the sides as the ends. For the styles I used a thicker Aluminum foil. This left me with a nice thin style. The real secret is to NOT drill holes for both sides of the drop grabs, dill only one and clip the run shot to match the opposing side. This eliminates the possibility of the grabs from becoming crooked.

I am sure there are other solutions and Schuyler did use styrene.

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 1/18/2015 4:43:59 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:

I’m slowly working through the 2014 Shake and Take project and have come up against the end ladders.   I’m looking for suggestions others have tried to improve the looks of the finished product.  Mine come out looking like the years have service included a couple of collisions.

The approach I’ve tried is to mark the ladder styles on a sheet of .015” thick styrene, including both vertical and horizontal centre lines for each hole to be drilled.  Then use a pin to create a dimple at each +, and drill through with an #80 bit.  I find it hard to create a dimple in the material at the exact correct spot,  so my drilled holes are imperfect.  The pin is thick enough and creates enough shadow that it looks like it is on the +, but it is imprecise.

Is there a better idea?  Maybe a jig that is practical?

Rob Kirkham