Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: SS 50' box - looking for prototype

Rich Gibson wrote:

"The braces on the model form a Howe truss.

This is not the Northeastern SP model, as far as I can tell. It does not have a fishbelly underframe and the side bracing pattern is very different from the A-50-6. The instructions show no drawings of an SP car, only Reading, WM, NYC, PRR, D&H. N&W....all of which seem to be incorrect, at least for the numbers shown."

Definitely a Quality Craft model, and you're right about the schemes on the instruction sheet - they're all bogus.
http://www.hoseeker.net/qualitycraft/qualitycraftIobboxcarpg1.jpg
http://www.hoseeker.net/qualitycraft/qualitycraftIobboxcarpg2.jpg

I'm having difficulty finding prototypes with SS ends, so I'm skeptical regarding a prototype for this model. It appears to a their 40 ft MILW SS boxcar stretched to 50 ft.

See Richard Hendrickson's article in the July 1995 and July 1996 issues of Railmodel Journal for more information.
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/443/32370/july-1995-page-16
http://www.trainlife.com/magazines/pages/407/29808/july-1996-page-14

(Part of the first article and all of the second article's images are coming up - it looks like there's partial restoration of the Trainlife website.)

Ben Hom