Re: PFE cars loaded with bananas

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

When I was stationed in Long Beach in the late 1970s, bananas were still arriving there by ship. IIRC, the landing point was Terminal Island right next to the huge coke loading facility, but I don't remember them being loaded into railroad cars. Probably all were moved by truck.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 1/21/15 3:20 PM, Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC] wrote:

Ed Mineswrote:

Tony, any idea what ports PFE cars were loaded with bananas? Erie had leased reefers; I guess they made more money loading their own cars.

     I know for sure about Los Angeles, San Francisco and New Orleans. Whether Houston/Galveston or other Texas ports were also active through PFE, I am not sure, but it seems logical, given the Central American origin of most banana cargoes.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history