From: STMFC@... [STMFC@...]
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:42 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] One Last X29 Question

Sorry I was not clearer. I got the idea that there probably was not complete conversion, given the numbers, and given they used AB as early as 1930, they probably converted some. I knew that the construction created rusted side panels and eventually plates to fix.  So how many in 1934?  That could still mean only tens, or hundreds, or thousands.

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

On Jan 24, 2015, at 2:08 PM, Benjamin Hom b.hom@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

David Bott asked:
"My focus is on the Southern Railway (and shortline Atlantic & Yadkin) in the Piedmont region of North Carolina in 1934. "Captn" Snow the conductor did me a service in identifying X29's by number that appeared in this area/era through his log books. My question would be: we're any, most, or all of the early '24-25 cars or the later '28 cars converted to AB brakes by 1934?"
No. Do the math. 26,000+ cars across both 1924-25 and 1928-30 were built. Even if the Pennsy decided to do wholesale retrofitting of the X29 fleet starting in 1932, it's highly unlikely that they would have completed even a small fraction of the fleet inn two years, especially given the far-flung travels of general service boxcars. It's far more likely the cars received AB brakes during major shopping - since virtually every car required side sill repairs, AB brake retrofits probably happened at the same time.

Ben Hom