Re: One Last X29 Question

A&Y Dave in MD

All K brakes for my home layout fleet then, and ABs for my modular club fleet (circa 1955)!

Thanks to all who replied, including the offers to share photos and data offlist.

Sent from Dave Bott's iPad

On Jan 25, 2015, at 12:29 PM, elombard@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

In crunching information about the X29 over the years I found the following regarding AB brakes which might be of interest:

1-1939  On this date there were about 25649 X29 built with K brakes in freight service.

6-1939  By this date only 124 out of all X29 built with K brakes had been converted to AB brakes.

1/1/1945  The original deadline for AB brakes required in interchange. The requirement was ultimately extended to 6/30/1953. Very likely using critical war material to replace brake components in ordinary freight cars during the war was not a national priority!

After the war progress in replacement appears to have been very rapid.

11-1952  By this date all but 459 X29 built with K brakes, and in freight service, had been converted to AB brakes.

1-1953 there were 23548 X29 in freight service.

This last date is a few months shy of the 6/30/1953 (final) deadline on which AB brakes would become mandatory for interchange.

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL