Re: e bay chuckle

Andy Harman

In the 1970s Quality Craft made a PRR 50' auto box car with end doors.  A local guy built one up and had it on display at the LHS.  It did the job, I bought the kit and some scalecoat sanding sealer.  I really gave it the old college try, but I was never satisfied with the prepping of the wood.  It had cast ends so I did'nt have to worry about that.

I never got any farther with it... Today I would use the cast parts and build the rest with styrene shapes.  How do you surface sand a piece of spaghetti wood?  My answer is... I don't.  Fortunately I didn't mangle the kit to where I Couldn't sell it.  

Also attempted a QC well flat car that had cast end beams and you had to shape the sides around them... And to represent a welded stiffener they gave you a piece of cardstock.  I got farther with that one but eventually parked and ebayed it 25 years later.

Wood is like shooting film when you've got a nice digital camera.  Except I will still shoot film for fun.  I will work with wood if it's for furniture, benchwork, or other 1:1 utility.  But for models plastic is king.

Sent from my overpriced graham cracker

On Jan 29, 2015, at 6:04 PM, "Jeff Pellas jppellas@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

All I can say is, even though they're interesting, you do have to be choosy when tackling one of those old wood kits --- and be ready to improvise. That's why I'm a member of this forum. I need the prototype knowledge to be able to discern which of those kits is worth trying and which to pass over. I determine this by how accurate a model I can get given the limitations of the kit.  
      I've put a lot of work, recently, into a kit that dates from the late 1930s by a company called Comet. The prototype is a Wabash 40' SS, double door auto car with 3-3-3 Dreadnaught ends. The original kit consisted of a wood body, a single piece of wood for the underframe, I single turned piece if wood for the K brake cylinder/reservoir, a wooden peaked roof, stamped copper roof ribs, and several very thin flat pieces of wood that I was required to cut into various lengths to make the roof walk details. The sides and ends were of embossed card stock. Ladder was brass ladder stock and brake wheel was, I think, cast metal.
     There were some structural accuracy problems and many detail deficiencies with this kit --on top of it being very primitive-- but the one thing about it that made me decide to build it was that I was able to determine that the embossed sides were accurately lettered and numbered. I've made massive changes to the kit and I'm about 90% finished with it now but I'm satisfied enough with how this has turned out that I'm going to build another Comet kit of a similar car by Grand Trunk Western. 

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC <STMFC@...>
Sent: Thu, Jan 29, 2015 2:57 pm
Subject: [STMFC] e bay chuckle

Jeff, I like wood kits too but those Ambroid covered hoppers are horrific and there are many nice plastic kits of similar cars.

The screen roof walks look just like screens (not like roof walks) and are always bent.

Getting rid of the wood grain is always troublesome  when wood is made to look like steel. 

How 'bout that D&H caboose? The  windows on that end look like windows in an armored car.

Ed Mines

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.