Re: e bay chuckle

A&Y Dave in MD

Sides are not reversible due to 'toilet' window. Also not sure whether peel and stick details would work with wall inside out. Aren't there plastic versions of plywood side CF?

Fortunately I need the as is CF for the  two the A&Y purchased. I have a partially built AMB and a painted brass version. Then I moved the date for my layout back 7 years before the cabs were used on the A&Y.

I have a QC cab kitbashed by a friend to represent the ex-RF&P cab used in the 30s along with rented Southern woodies for A&Y.  The QC metal castings worked well, but even for usual sick built wood sides my friend substituted styrene.

I have some vent box wood cars I purchased built at a flea market, but I also prefer to build in styrene. I like uniform density and fracture properties. I don't like having to 'commune' with materials to know how they warp, cut or fracture!

Dave

Sent from Dave Bott' iPhone

On Jan 29, 2015, at 10:36 PM, Andy Harman gsgondola@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I just remembered... I have an AMB Laserkit of an N&W CF caboose.  This is one I have attempted three times to build from a QC kit- twice in HO scale and once in O scale.  All failed.

Thing is, I will be modeling a CF as rebuilt with plywood sides.  Not sure if I can reverse the sides so the smooth side is out, or just make them from styrene.

I also have a brass CF... NJI I think, never painted it.

Sent from my overpriced graham cracker

On Jan 29, 2015, at 6:04 PM, "Jeff Pellas jppellas@... [STMFC]" <STMFC@...> wrote:

All I can say is, even though they're interesting, you do have to be choosy when tackling one of those old wood kits --- and be ready to improvise. That's why I'm a member of this forum. I need the prototype knowledge to be able to discern which of those kits is worth trying and which to pass over. I determine this by how accurate a model I can get given the limitations of the kit.
      I've put a lot of work, recently, into a kit that dates from the late 1930s by a company called Comet. The prototype is a Wabash 40' SS, double door auto car with 3-3-3 Dreadnaught ends. The original kit consisted of a wood body, a single piece of wood for the underframe, I single turned piece if wood for the K brake cylinder/reservoir, a wooden peaked roof, stamped copper roof ribs, and several very thin flat pieces of wood that I was required to cut into various lengths to make the roof walk details. The sides and ends were of embossed card stock. Ladder was brass ladder stock and brake wheel was, I think, cast metal.
     There were some structural accuracy problems and many detail deficiencies with this kit --on top of it being very primitive-- but the one thing about it that made me decide to build it was that I was able to determine that the embossed sides were accurately lettered and numbered. I've made massive changes to the kit and I'm about 90% finished with it now but I'm satisfied enough with how this has turned out that I'm going to build another Comet kit of a similar car by Grand Trunk Western.