Jeff Pellas is right. You have to pick the kits to build.
Some will look like crap no matter what & some will be real gems.
Sealing wood to look like metal is difficult.
I visited Bob Weaver in the early '80s. He was a giant guy and would have been even among professional football players.
He had many of his kits built and on display and each one was magnificent.
A couple of other observations from e bay -
- there were more excellent kit builders than I thought
- ditto for guys doing weathering; I even copy the photos
- some modelers use a coating that fogs (gets cloudy) as weathering - it looks overdone & reduces the value of the cars
- at least one person buys inexpensive kits and them tries to resell them; I hope he buys a lot of junk
- cost of shipping has a lot to do with salability of kits