Re: Plastic Wrapped Lumber Loads

Jim Betz

Hi,

My brother, who worked in trucking in the Portland, Ore. area, called
these "shed packs" (because they were wrapped at the mill) - and he told
me that they first became common in the mid to late 60's. (But by the
time I thought to ask him about them he was already in the earliest
stages of dementia.)
I do not know when the first 'experiments' were done. Other than
needing a facility set up to do the wrapping this method more than
pays for itself in reduction of 'shipping losses' (due to weather). And
I would be surprised if it didn't "catch on" fairly quickly and start
being applied to more and more wall board - and then lumber in
just a few years.
- Jim