Re: Wood running boards

Schleigh Mike

Regarding the last two comments----Did April 1st come a month and two days early this year???

Regards---Mike Schleigh

On Friday, February 27, 2015 8:08 PM, "Tony Thompson tony@... [STMFC]" wrote:

Wood(en) or steel running boards exist only in the hobby world. In the real world (prototype) they are known as roof walks.

   Wrong. Look at any issue of Car Builders Cyclopedia or Railway Age, certainly at least as late as 1960.  Drawings (AAR or builder), descriptions and manufacturer's ads ALL use the same terminology, as does the set of definitions in the front of the Cyc. Professionally there is no question whatever that it was "running board." What the average switchman may have said is hard to be sure about and in any case not professional engineering language. We won't misunderstand you if you call it a "roof walk," but we will know you are not well informed.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history