Re: Powdered Graphite

North Model Railroad Supplies <nmrs@...>

I enjoy reading your posts while lurking in the background and feel I can learn from this group. I was wondering if anyone has tried powdered graphite for couplers and wheel sets?

Jim Violante

Hi Jim,

Kadee Greasem is powdered graphite.

I shim the inside of my coupler boxes to eliminate coupler droop, and burnish both sides of the coupler shank with graphite to improve the lateral movement of the coupler in the coupler box.

A number of local modelers fill their truck axle “cones” with graphite, then fit the wheelsets. They say it improves the rolling characteristics of their cars.

Cheers

Dave North