Re: ADMIN: Freight Car Terminology

John Larkin

OK, these are present on all prototype trucks.  Question is, does anybody make this detail part in HO to add to the myriad of trucks that lack this detail - and rock more as a result in many cases. 


John Larkin

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 1:23 PM, "tgregmrtn@... [STMFC]" wrote:

I believe the term for these, at least with the mechanical folks, is constant contact side bearing.
In the last three or fours (excuse the OT nature except for comparison)  years these have been removed and replaced by an upgrade that doesn't include the to lower rollers with needle bearing inserts.
Greg Martin
Eventually all things merge into one and a river runs through it.
Norman Maclean
In a message dated 2/28/2015 6:09:42 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, STMFC@... writes:
One reason is that friction bearings really do exist and are present on most
freight car trucks -- but they are NOT the same thing as journal bearings.

This picture illustrates them nicely -- See those items on top of the truck
bolster about 1/4 way in from each side? Those are friction bearings. There
are corresponding parts attached to each freight car's bolsters. These bearings
prevent direct contact between the static parts of the carbody and the trucks,
as the car rocks (tilts) from side to side as it rolls down the track.

Some HO trucks replicate these bearings, but most do not. The ones shown in the
photograph above are very accurate representations. You can find them advertised
in Car Builder Cycs, since they are a wear item and are sold by third parties.

Tim O'Connor

Join to automatically receive all group messages.