Freight Car Terminology, diversion into track terminology

Jack Mullen

Paul Hillman said: 

Wonder what they were called when they were stub-type? (No points)

Same definitions apply: the part with movable rails is a switch. In this case it's a stub switch.  The whole thing, extending to or past the heel of frog, is a turnout.If you need to differentiate it from turnouts having other types of switches, you can call it a stub-switch turnout. 

The familiar type of switch having two tapered point rails is a split switch, but the term is usually used only when needed to distinguish from other types.

Jack Mullen

Join { to automatically receive all group messages.