Re: Air Erasers or Abrasion Guns

Armand Premo

My profound apologies to STMFC members.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2015 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Air Erasers or Abrasion Guns

Picking? Me?The only thing I am picking today is my nose.There are some young Washington outsiders that I kind of like.Not Bush even though I think he is the brightest of the lthe family.I favor almost anyone who can bring some respect to Washington..We are both doing well.Stay warm.L,A BTW an A+ on the test.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2015 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Air Erasers or Abrasion Guns

Tim,

The stuff I've used is Paasche AEX.  It's been a while since I bought any and at the time it was all that was available IIRC.  Now they call AEX fast cutting and they also have AE (medium cutting) and SSO (slow cutting). 
I poked around on their site and found the MSDS for these products.  AEX is aluminum oxide--no grit size given.  AE is pumice, and SSO is food starch.  Possibly one of these gentler compounds would be safe on painted items but I'd be cautious.

John Bopp

On Mar 13, 2015, at 2:25 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

What is the grit size for the Paasche aluminum oxide ? The label has no
size information. I've used the Badger grit and it seems more aggressive
than what I use in my booth which is 220 grit. I've tried to use baking
soda but it seemed much too soft, made a huge mess (in the garage), and
definitely is moisture absorbent.

Tim O'Connor

I've used an older Paasche LA-3 abrasive gun for some time.  The LAC-3 is the current version and has a carbide tip for better wear resistance.  I use it with Paasche compound for prepping brass for paint.  I used to use it only outdoors but now have a cabinet.  I found a cheap Harbor Freight blasting cabinet on closeout.  I threw out the HF gun and use the LA-3 in the cabinet.  I'm quite happy with it and Paasche products in general.
I've never used the LA-3 on plastic or any painted surfaces so can't say how it would work.  But I suspect it might be too aggressive and that the air eraser with a milder compound might be a better bet.

John Bopp
Farmington Hills, MI

On Mar 12, 2015, at 11:49 AM, fgexbill@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I have a small Badger Abrasion Gun that I use mainly for spraying Baking Soda to prep styrene and resin models before I paint. During my most recent etching ritual it became clogged and the usual cleaning steps did not clear it. I got frustrated and put it up and plan to completely disassemble it today to try to sort it out but I also went online today to see what is out there. TCP Global shows some Chinese Guns that I will look more closely at but I wanted to ask folks here if the have experience with either of these Passche Models:

Paasche Airbrush LAC#3 Abrasive Spray Gun

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4765 / Virus Database: 4257/9288 - Release Date: 03/12/15

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4765 / Virus Database: 4257/9294 - Release Date: 03/13/15

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.