Re: cast ends

mwbauers

Recently I got a couple of their catalogs picturing most of their car-sides. The majority of them were bog-standard boring cars.

But the few odd-balls they did make are  certain to be memorable.

I made certain to recently get one of the hemispherical Acid Tank car kits from their line with the idea of cloning it into a unit train of sorts. I don’t know how accurate the car actually is, but its a fun and unique thing to have around. [I was able to get a couple of the purple and scarlet ‘It Stinks and Howe’ wrappers a couple of years ago for these Acid Tank cars…… it took a while to get a complete kit for the ‘correct’ car…] I hope to find one of the cars in one of the real world Car Builder Dictionaries of the period.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Mar 15, 2015, at 11:07 AM, jon miller wrote:

On 3/14/2015 11:40 PM, Mike Bauers mwbauers55@... [STMFC] wrote:
I just took a closer look. Those lines of rivets are seamless.

    Remember these are "Red Ball" ends cast from an old linitype (sp) machine probably more than 50-60 (maybe 70) years ago.  Red Ball was as accurate as could be made at that time, but usually was odd ball stuff.  I guess they thought that sold better.
.