Re: Random Thoughts from my two articles in Volume 3 of Speedwitch's Modeling Journal

Tony Thompson

I have to agree somewhat that that it's an "old man's hobby". Back in the early 50's just about every kid had a Lionel or American Flyer train set under the Christmas tree. Now, the kids want computer games and other hi-tech stuff. Changing times.

   But the trains under the Christmas tree that kids played with are NOT the hobby, not now and not then. Of course it may get kids intrigued, but the hobby we are talking about is, one might say, entirely different. Most people join it decades later than the Christmas tree experience.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history