Re: Random Thoughts from my two articles in Volume 3 of Speedwitch's Modeling Journal

mwbauers

In the day, model trains were the analog of todays personal computers.

Let's put it this way...... In Europe and Japan model railroading is still a vibrant hobby of both the old and the young. 

We have fallen into a rut in our ways of doing the hobby. We can just as easily refresh it as we update it. We can put new life into it without sticking with just the old ways of doing the hobby. Our hobby is so much more than just opening the box and putting model RR equipment on the track.

We can't let it be thought of being just that.

Here..... try something different.... download and consider building this per the plans and study how you could make a more conventional RR model from it.....

Or some just as modern, but less complicated to build...

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Mar 21, 2015, at 8:58 PM, david ellzey davidellzey1@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

I have to agree somewhat that that it's an "old man's hobby". Back in the early 50's just about every kid had a Lionel or American Flyer train set under the Christmas tree. Now, the kids want computer games and other hi-tech stuff. Changing times.
I remember steam on mainline railroads (yep, I'm a dinosaur), that's why most of us in our 60's and older model the transition era, we can relate. It was a very interesting era.
But this hobby is getting more hi-tech and sophisticated all the time, great to lure the younger generation in. I personally think it will be around a very long time.

To: STMFC@... 
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2015 8:08 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Random Thoughts from my two articles in Volume 3 of Speedwitch's Modeling Journal

> Face it; it's an old man's hobby. 
> Brad

Not old -- but most people get into the hobby (or come back to it, as I did)
in their 30's and 40's after they "settle down" and develop an interest in doing
some activity in their leisure time at home. But I think the median age of NMRA
membership was always in the low 40's... It's probably climbed now since a lot
of new model railroaders no longer join because there are so many other outlets
for sharing in the hobby. Like STMFC!

Ah well it's nothing to worry about -- considering everything that is out there,
there's never been a better time to enjoy this hobby than right now!

Tim O'Connor

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.