Re: Random Thoughts from my two articles in Volume 3 of Speedwitc...

Greg Martin

All five of my Grandson's have trains and I have made sure of that. Tim and I belong to  a Facebook group that would send the "old man's hobby" stats in the round file as we are definitely the minority if you are say old is 50+.

I am sick of this hobby doom and is getting real old.

If you want a hobby shop support him.  Don't spend all your money on the Internet.

If you want to do the Internet thing, if a good shop on line...

If you like kits because you like to model don't buy ready to run.

If you don't want to buy Ready to Run vote with your dollars.

It is that simple... No more whining, please!

Can we move on now please?

Greg Martin

Norman Maclean

In a message dated 3/21/2015 6:58:08 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, STMFC@... writes:
I have to agree somewhat that that it's an "old man's hobby". Back in the early 50's just about every kid had a Lionel or American Flyer train set under the Christmas tree. Now, the kids want computer games and other hi-tech stuff. Changing times.
I remember steam on mainline railroads (yep, I'm a dinosaur), that's why most of us in our 60's and older model the transition era, we can relate. It was a very interesting era.
But this hobby is getting more hi-tech and sophisticated all the time, great to lure the younger generation in. I personally think it will be around a very long time.