Re: Mining traffic on LA&SL

Don Strack

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Garth Groff sarahsan@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

> Do you have a copy of David F. Myrick's RAILROADS OF NEVADA AND EASTERN CALIFORNIA, v. 2? If not, it should be required reading. Both the LA&SL and the Pioche railroads are covered. Sadly, there is no bibliography.
>
> By the way, on page 701, there is a photo of the P&P ore dump. It shows two standard-gauge GS type gondolas being loaded. One is a Utah Coal Route car, possibly 21922, and the other is UP and looks like 63233 or 83233.

Thanks Garth. Yes I have a copies of Myrick's three-volume Railroads of Nevada books, plus Robertson's four-volume Encyclopedia of Western Railroad History.

I have found that various newspapers and magazines of the period faithfully report monthly, weekly and sometimes daily production tonnages from the mines. I always try to divine how much railroad traffic such tonnages might produce, mostly to give a sense of how many rail cars an interested observer might see on a particular spur or branchline, or what a modeler might try to replicate as part of their layout operations. I did the same exercise several years ago when I was researching the sugar beet industry here in Utah, and as I research the coal mining traffic here in Utah.

Don Strack