CGW 1923 ARA proposed standard steel sheathed boxcar

gary laakso

Each of the four batches totaling 1,450 cars is pictured in Railway Prototype Cyclopedia Vol 18 at pages 86-88.

Gary Laakso
south of Mike Brock

On Mar 30, 2015, at 1:25 PM, richramik@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Tim:

Looked at the RC site and couldn't find them.  I wouold be interested in them for some of my own projects.

Thanks,
Rich Ramik

On 03/30/15, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@... [STMFC]<STMFC@...> wrote:

Jason, Red Caboose makes an ARA standard 1923 model in HO. The problem with
the CGW cars is that they are not a match for the sides. I think the CGW cars
have been done in resin in HO scale.

Tim O'Connor

>As noted, the CGW 1923 All Steel A.R.A. cars didn't have Creco doors, they had 3 panel car builders' doors. On line photos of the as-delivered cars outside of the link provided appear to be hard to come by. One thing that could help is to know that any cars still in their 85000-87999 numbering would still have original doors. The cars that were rebuilt were renumbered in to the 8000 series.
>
>A couple modeling notes, the 85000 and 86000 series had just a single grab iron on the left side of the car and the door latch was lower than the 87000 series. Also, as with most non-X29 cars, the side ladders are inset from the car end showing the rivet column at the ends of the car.
>
>I'm not sure why there are so many X29 models available when a standard 1923 car would have much broader appeal.
>
>Jason Kliewer
>Colorado Springs, CO

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.