Re: Bananas to the Indianapolis?

Dave Nelson

Per ICC reports the Banana traffic out of New Orleans (primary US port for banana imports) was almost exclusively to Chicago. I would imagine almost all distribution to nearby states would originate there.

Dave Nelson

From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 11:05 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Bananas to the Indianapolis?

Do I recall correctly that the Illinois Central ran banana traffic to Indianapolis (an entire train?) ?

Also, if routed to the Midwest from the South, what kind of icing treatment and what refrigerator cars in the early 1950s? I wouldn't think that bananas would not need to be chilled as much as other perishable traffic.

Would most of the banana traffic to the huge Detroit Produce terminal come form East Coast ports from the IC via Chicago?

Victor A. Baird

www.erstwhilepublications.com