Re: URTX refrigerator car

Thomas Baker

Tim and Doug,

Thanks so much for your information. I, too, think the roof is wood but wanted a more professional opinion than just my suspicions. The color on the ends IS hard to determine. For that matter, the color of the sides is not completely certain. Almost all authorities say a tone of orange for the sides and box car red for the roof and ends. The leased refrigerator cars depicted in Gene Green's book lend credence to this idea: The URTX cars leased to the Soo, CGW, and M&StL have sides that are a tone of orange with roof and ends box car red or red oxide. I am guessing the colors changed at some point in the URTX shops.

When I rode the CGW from Minneapolis to Central Iowa in 1955, our passenger train picked up a freight car which was coupled to the ex-C&O combine. This irritated me because it prevented viewing the receding track as the CGW train "rocketed" down the track. Whatever the car was, its ends were clearly black and its reporting marks clearly URTX. The railroad set the car out in Sumner, Iowa, I believe. The engineer pulled past the depot, backed up, and the brakeman uncoupled the car on what might have been a house track. Then the engineer pulled ahead, backed up to the depot, stopping briefly. I was quite surprised to see a car with yellow sides, URTX reporting marks of course, and a clearly visible Corn Belt Route medallion. By that time, most refrigerator cars leased to the CGW probably did have orange sides, but possibly this one had not gotten back to the URTX shops in Milwaukee and still had the colors of an earlier period: black roof and ends, yellow sides. Wish I had photographed it.

Tom Baker
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:57 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: URTX refrigerator car

Tim, the car does look freshly painted in the image I have. I can't read the
date at the far end of the car, indicating when it was weighed, but it might
be 36. Looks to be the early 36" CGW herald on the right side of the car,
above the words "ventilated refrigerator". And there are four lines of
lettering on the end of the car centered above the coupler.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2015 3:29 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: URTX refrigerator car

The photo I have shows a freshly painted car in 1936. It does not look like
a wood roof to me. Outside metal roofs were sheet metal over wood were they
not?

Tim O'

Tom I have a photo of that car, URTX 97136 lettered for the CGW, just as
you describe. It appears to have a wood roof, cant really tell. The blt
date is 5-23. The ends are wood, painted a dark color (FCR?), which based on
Denniss comments, says the car has not been rebuilt and thus has the wood
roof.

Doug Harding

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Posted by: "Douglas Harding" <doug.harding@...>

Yahoo Groups Links

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.