Re: Scale coat I problems.


There is an old trick of smearing Vaseline petroleum jelly on the threads of the bottle and the cap of model paint jars to improve the seal once opened and close again.

Since this thread came along, I went and bought a jar of it. Its something I used to use ages ago.

Maybe it needs to be a standard practice ?  Maybe cutting thin rubber inner cap seals would also be a good idea, A simple round punch can be made from a sharpened edge section of metal tubing to punch out the needed rubber seals. The 'cutter' can be embedded in a section of wood [handle or block] and used with a hammer blow to make a inner-cap-top seal.

Best to ya,
Mike Bauers
Milwaukee, Wi

On Apr 13, 2015, at 7:54 AM, Craig Zeni  wrote:

On Apr 13, 2015, at 4:07 AM, STMFC@... wrote:

> 4c. Re: Scale coat I problems.
> Posted by:  danspachmd@... docdenny34
> Date: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:57 pm ((PDT))
> I do know that it is still being sold, and by "age", I should have said "shelf life".  

Scalecoat shelf life has never, in my experience, been optimal.

> I went through my Scalecoat inventory this afternoon and found two unopened bottles, Milwaukee Orange , and Grime, both completely gelled and both in older Quality Craft (instead of Weaver) bottles. I already deep-sixed a bottle of #10 Black (gloss) after clogging my airbrush like it had never been clogged before (my fault for not detecting the gel lurking in the depths of what seemed to be a good mix). 

Not unusual, Denny. I refuse to use paint that's gone to that condition; too likely to make a mess on the model that's difficult or impossible to correct. Paint is cheap compared to models and my time invested in them. Same reason I use the manufacturer's thinners...they're expensive little bottles in and of themselves but cheap insurance compared to a wrecked model or gummed up airbrush.


Join to automatically receive all group messages.