Re: Old Trains, New Parts?

Benjamin Hom

Andy Harman wrote:
"This really started with the Ulrich GS gondola, which I think was a well detailed and good looking model in its day, and unlike its modern
superplastic or even brass counterparts, it actually had operating drop doors.

I really can't think of any instances in which I'd use this vintage stuff to make a state of the art prototypical model."
Actually, you just named one instance. The Ulrich GS gon is still the only game in town for SP Class G-50-12; the Red Caboose and Detail Associates models are not the same prototype. Here's one of Tony Thompson's models (scroll midway down page):
http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2011/04/choosing-model-car-fleet-8-gondloas.html

Ben Hom