Re: MythBusters: Athearn "Standard" Baggage Car

Andy Sperandeo

Hi Ben,

The Athearn standarad or heavyweight baggage car definitely does not represent any Santa Fe prototype. The Athearn car lacks the Santa Fe's characteristic I-beam side sill (often mis-labeled a channel sill, but it had two sides). The door sizes and locations don't match either, Santa Fe cars generally lacked belt rails, and the letter board is way too deep on the Athearn model. I wish there was an inexpensive Santa Fe heavyweight baggage car on the market, but unfortunately that's not the case.

So long,

Andy