Re: Very Small Plastic Tubing

Tom Madden

Those tank handrail splices are structural, not just cosmetic. If you're making the handrails in four pieces (two straight side pieces, two curved end pieces) with the splices outboard of the last side stanchions, each end piece will be supported only by a single end stanchion and the two splices. If the splices aren't rigid, the end handrail could be unstable. I'm putting the handrails on one of Frank's 8K acid tanks right now and am using Detail Associates 0.019" stainless steel wire for the side handrails, D.A. 0.019" brass wire for the end handrail pieces and 0.020" I.D. SS tubing for the four splices. If I should mishandle the model I'm confident nothing is going to happen to the handrails. I wouldn't be nearly so sanguine if the splices were thin-walled plastic tubing.

If you're making the splices between two side stanchions, that's another matter. But I find the whole job is easier if I only have to thread the end pieces through one stanchion rather than two or three.

Tom Madden