Re: Boxcar With (Way) Off Center Doors

Andy Harman

At 09:53 PM 4/30/2015 -0700, you wrote:

This is Seaboard 20203. I’m sure there is a very good reason for this
design. I’d just like to know what the reason is.
I am not familiar with this particular car but it reminds me of the later
B&O "canstock" box cars which had the doors offset to the ends. This had
something to do with being able to load and unload steel coils for the tin
can industry and it allowed for increased capacity. On this SAL car, the
door guides aren't long enough for both doors to slide all the way down, so
it looks as if one or the other door area could be open but not both.

Andy