Re: Boxcar With (Way) Off Center Doors

Staffan Ehnbom

The Great Northern rebuilt its 1940 vintage double wood sheath car no. 49759 into a similar car in 1958 renumbering it 29001. It had the 20 ft door openings at opposite ends of the car, which I would think goes for the Seaboard car too. The two doors opened to be stacked one outside the other. Judging by the apparent depth of the door stop I'd think that goes for the Seaboard car too. The GN car was an experimental lumber loading car.

Staffan Ehnbom

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 7:17 AM, Bill Keene wakeene@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Bob & Group,

Very interesting indeed.

Judging from the mounting of the ladder on the far side of the car, it appears that both right and left side double doors are at the same end of the car.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Apr 30, 2015, at 9:53 PM, thecitrusbelt@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

This is Seaboard 20203. I’m sure there is a very good reason for this design.  I’d just like to know what the reason is.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA