Re: So, did we ever aagree on an answer on this tank car? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Charles Peck

Below the lettering of "paints   chemicals"  it says "durkee famous foods".  At one point Durkee
was part of Glidden  and Durkee was also a processor of soy beans.  Contents could have been
edible oils to Heinz or the car could have been at Heinz to receive some savory ingredient for
one of the Durkee products.  Either way some of us eat a lot of stuff that could be called chemicals.
I would love to find a photo of one of the Durkee tank cars with the Durkees spelled out large on
the car side.
And Durkees did have its own mark DFFX.
Chuck Peck in sunny Florida

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 3:53 PM, 'Douglas Harding' doug.harding@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Elden the car lettering says “paints - chemicals” and has what looks to be a Dupont logo on the left side. I seriously doubt that Heinz would be shipping vinegar in a chemical car. Perhaps the car was delivering a cleaning agent of some sort, or it had simply been off spotted.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org