Re: C&EI 95000 - 95299 gondolas

Andy Sperandeo

That Model Railroader article by John W. Ascher covers a series of cars built by AC&F in 1912-13 with composite sides, and rebuilt in 1927 with steel sides and at least a couple of different ends. Supposedly 300 cars were still in service in 1959. The article includes a good b&w prototype photo and simplified drawings that are adequate for scratchbuilding a model.

I can attest to that last part because I built one. I always thought it came out rather well except that I didn't yet know the trick of making wood sides look like steel. (Now I do: Don't use wood! Use styrene instead.) Mr. Ascher modeled the car with wood flooring, so I did too.

So long,

Andy