Tru-Color and Accu-Paint reducer

Andy Carlson

Hello-

I was convinced years ago by a Jim Six article on Accu-paint. Jim said that he reduced all of his Accu-paint with automotive lacquer thinner (much better than the hardware store lacquer thinner, which I use for clean-up) for his Accu-Paint jobs. Although a friend of mine gets good results with the hardware store thinner).

I use "Hot Shop"automotive acrylic lacquer reducer. Called hot shop for use in hot weather so the lacquer won't dry before it lands on the intended surface, creating a dull finish. It is also called "Hi-Gloss" because its lower volitility stays wet longer producing a nice gloss.

I am very satisfied with these results over the years, and I see no reason to change now. A gallon can is not too expensive, about what a quart of Tru-color reducer would cost. The Accu-Paint thinner had alcohol and acetone, which I believe automotive lacquer reducers also have.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2015 5:05 PM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Re: Tru Color Paint Stripper?

Allen,

While Tru Color is acetone based, I wouldn’t rush out to buy acetone as a diluent. Acetone is good for cleanup, but I stay with the manufacturer’s thinner for dilutions. Tru Color’s web site says that you may lose the gloss finish if you use acetone for a dilution thinner. Since I haven’t tried diluting with acetone, I can’t speak to the results. The solvent base in Tru Color is more complicated than just acetone.

Nelson Moyer

Sent: Friday, May 29, 2015 4:19 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Tru Color Paint Stripper?

FWIW, I use Home Depot Mineral Spirits for my thinner. I have good success with both Floquil and Tru Color. Evidently not together in small amounts. Nelson, thanks for telling me that Tru color is Acetone based. I will by a can of that and see if it works better than mineral spirits. As I do a lot of airbrushing, my wallet finds that this is the best way to go.

Allen

On Friday, May 29, 2015 1:11 PM, "Denny Anspach danspachmd@... [STMFC]" wrote:

This has been an interesting thread. I too believe that the results that Nelson reports are from too high pressure. The pressure that I find best with TruColor is about 15-20 psi.

Increasingly, Tru-Color is my go-to paint, very forgiving and producing a lovely smooth finish. I too use an Iwata Eclipse, but I use removable 0.5 oz. bottles with a Paasche double-action coupling rather than a gravity feed ( I am not certain why feed type would make any difference, however). I thin Tru-Color paint 50/50 with their own brand thinner. Other thinners might work, but IMHO the risk/cost ratio is not worth investigating.

I am not above stripping flawed paint finishes, but I believe that I would first try the other simpler methods already advised.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD

Okoboji, IA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.