Re: Tru-Color and Accu-Paint reducer

Tim O'Connor

Andy

I've used a different automotive lacquer thinner, but not with Accupaint,
since I still have a good supply of the AP thinner (I bought 5 or 6 of the
large bottles at some point). But when I run out I'll definitely try the
automotive products. Usually when AP gives a dull finish it just means I
need to add thinner.

Tim O'

I was convinced years ago by a Jim Six article on Accu-paint. Jim said that he reduced all of his Accu-paint with automotive lacquer thinner (much better than the hardware store lacquer thinner, which I use for clean-up) for his Accu-Paint jobs. Although a friend of mine gets good results with the hardware store thinner).

I use "Hot Shop"automotive acrylic lacquer reducer. Called hot shop for use in hot weather so the lacquer won't dry before it lands on the intended surface, creating a dull finish. It is also called "Hi-Gloss" because its lower volitility stays wet longer producing a nice gloss.

I am very satisfied with these results over the years, and I see no reason to change now. A gallon can is not too expensive, about what a quart of Tru-color reducer would cost. The Accu-Paint thinner had alcohol and acetone, which I believe automotive lacquer reducers also have.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA