Re: Hoppers from early 20th century

MDelvec952

Fish plates were coming soon.  My thoughts were that they were outside guardrails. Note, too, that there's a switch point on the high rail of the curve.

This the Cayuga Breaker within the city limits of Scranton, and near Cayuga Junction, just a couple of miles from DL&W's Keyser Valley Car Shops which maintained every car in the photo                 ....Mike Del Vecchio

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC
Sent: Mon, Jun 8, 2015 10:17 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Hoppers from early 20th century

And where exactly would that be, "just west of Scranton"?

Occam's Razor applies here: they're guard rails on a sharp S-curve on an incline. And actually, review the other 18,000 images in this collection: this isn't unique on the DL&W.

I'm a bit surprised more people aren't mind-boggled by the lack of fish plates on a high speed mainline.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

To: STMFC@...
Sent: Monday, June 8, 2015 9:14 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Hoppers from early 20th century

I'll post a photo of some manipulation I did in CorelDraw X7  -  cropped to section of the three tracks, drew horizontal line between left most track rails (yellow line).  copied that line, it was pretty close to the. gauge of inner set of rails in second track.  Copied line again, changed color to red, and entered x axis dimension as the existing dimension x 54.5 / 36.  That equaled gauge of outer rails in center track  -  if first line was 36", new one was 54.5", of 4' 8 1/2".  Copied it, and copy pretty closely matched distance between rails in right hand track.n So my guess is 3' gauge on left, dual gauge with 3' in center of standard gauge center track and standard gauge on right.

Steve Caple

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.