Re: Photos, copyright etc.

Tom Madden

Mike Bauers pleaded:
> Please post at what point an image is out of copyright and
> available for general use? You post we must own the copyright
> and there are those outside of copyright that have no such
> ownership. We need to be certain of those for posting.

If Mike Brock will permit, here's what I do on the Passenger Car List. (The PCL and STMFC lists are, if not conjoined twins, at least closely related. There is a huge membership overlap, and Mike is one of my PCL moderators.)

The issue is, photos posted to a group's Photos area can be downloaded and shared. Yahoo has made it very clear that there will be no Napster-like unauthorized sharing of copyrighted material going on in Yahoo Groups. This applies to both the Photos and Files areas, but is much more of a potential problem with photos.

It is up to the person submitting the photo to determine whether he has the right to post that photo. If you submit a photo to the PCL and it isn't obvious (to me) that it's one you took, I will email you and ask if the photo is:
A. one you took or
B. in the public domain or
C. you have documentable permission from the person holding the copyright to post the photo.

If you respond that you do have the right, I will approve the photo, no questions asked. I will also save your email asserting your right to post the photo. If the vaunted and feared Copyright Police were to come calling, they will be given a copy of your email.

Again, it is not up to the list owner or moderators to decide whether you have the right to post a particular photo - you have to do your own due diligence.

Tom Madden