Re: 1950's Auto & Auto Parts Trains

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@y..., "Beckert, Shawn" <shawn.beckert@d...> wrote:
Jack Wyatt wrote, in part:

How much Ford traffic did the SSW handle? Wabash had
a leg up on the other railroads in Detroit handling
Ford parts traffic to the west. <snip>

The Wabash did handle a large amount of Ford traffic west to the St.
Louis, Kansas City, and Chicago gateways. This traffic increased
yearly starting after WWII and continued past our time period.
The following is the total tons of autos, trucks, tires, and parts
handled by the railroad, % of total tons, and revenue for eight years
starting in 1945.

1945 572,006 1.94% $2,815,716
1946 697,254 2.56% $4,160,664
1947 998,804 3.48% $6,809,239
1948 1,027,513 3.64% $8,680,681
1952 1,247,423 4.86% $13,558,552
1953 1,667,550 6.72% $18,678,693
1954 1,560,707 7.00% $17,399,786
1955 1,967,104 7.92% $22,320,770

The Wabash received most of the Ford traffic from the DT&I at Detroit
and Delta, Ohio. For example, during the first 10 months of 1948,
the Wabash received 11912 loads which included 9691 cars of Ford
traffic from the DT&I at Detroit; and 25674 loads including 18688
Ford loads at Delta, Ohio. During this same period the Wabash
delivered 15343 mtys at Detroit and 23575 at Delta. A one month
example, Oct 1950, the Wabash delivered 371 loads and 4401 mtys at
Delta and received 5020 loads and 200 mtys, most of the loads would
have been Ford traffic.

The Delta interchange was 29 miles east of the Montpelier, Ohio
division point yard of the Wabash , on the line to Toledo. Traffic
was usually moved in Delta Turns operating out of Montpelier.
Traffic was then forwarded down the main line to Decatur, Ill and
beyond to St. Louis or Kansas City, and on the line from Montpelier
to Chicago.
Trains handling the loading included ML and Chi 89, Adv 91, 91 and
time freight extras.

The following is Delta turns run on three consecutive days in Dec.
1950.

12-20 Ex 2806 W 61-1 57 Ford
12-20 Ex 2720 W 44-0 44 "
12-20 Ex 1143 W 89-1 75 "