Re: 1950's Auto & Auto Parts Trains

C J Wyatt

<<I would expect most of the Ford traffic to move through Decatur to Moberly
and then to Claycomo (Kansas City) where Ford had/has a large assembly plant
rather than through St. Louis. It is very likely that the Wabash owned the
property on which Ford built the Claycomo plant. IIRC this plant was built
immediately following WWII.

Ed Dabler>>

Undoubtedly Claycomo was a factor in the postwar increase in the Wabash's
Ford business, but I believe Wabash also directly served the Ford plant
outside of St. Louis at Berkeley. I'm not sure when Berkeley was built. I
believe that there was also a Ford plant in the Chicago area not located on
the Wabash, but certainly opened to switching. Wabash had favorable
connections for the other western Ford business, particularly the west coast
Ford plants.

If you are including Ford parts traffic in the West, the chance is good that
Wabash was in the route for Detroit area originations.

Jack Wyatt