Re: Waterloo, Cedar Falls & Northern flat car

Rob Adams

I should have added that the few available color images of WCF&N freight equipment showed it to be painted an oxide red/brown color. I've never seen a color image of their flat cars. Stenciling was most likely white, though aluminum is also a possibility. Some of the WCF&N motors and other equipment bore aluminum stenciling. Either way, weathering will take care of any questions.

Trucks appear to be a 50-ton Andrews U-section.

Rob Adams

On 6/18/15 12:04 AM, Rob Adams steamera@netins.net [STMFC] wrote:
Guys;

Your conclusion that the Varney car could be a starting point assumes
the prototype car to be a 40-ish footer.

The WCF&N flat in this photo is one of 25 cars in listed in the ORER as
of October 1949 in series 4000-4024 (there was not a 400-series of flats
on the road). The register entries list them as 47' 10" in length and
10' wide, considerably larger than the Varney flat. I've not yet been
able to determine the origins of these cars, but based on the
construction features and the fact that this series of flats were not
listed on the WCF&N roster in the either 1928 or 1937 ORER entries, they
were very likely second hand cars (the case for much of the Cedar Valley
Road's equipment).

Perhaps just as interesting as the car is the lading. That it is loaded
with tractors is predictable, but the color of them is what strikes me
as ironic. The Waterloo, Iowa John Deere tractor plant was a major
on-line customer of the WCF&N, and the road hauled many, many flat cars
of John Deere tractors over the years. For this car to be carrying a
load of Farmall tractors (Model H?) is almost sacrilege.

Kind regards,

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA

On 6/17/15 11:06 PM, Clark Cooper csc@mchsi.com [STMFC] wrote:
A good compromise might be to take the plastic Varney flat and build new side and end sills, keeping the deck and underframe as they are. In the photo it looks like there might be a center sill that hangs down a bit lower than the side sills, but it's hard to tell.

WCF&N was relatively small, about 81 miles of mainline. I wonder if this was a second-hand car.

-Clark Cooper

On Jun 17, 2015, at 10:04 PM, Tim O'Connor timboconnor@comcast.net [STMFC] wrote:

Mike

I would not call it a "match" but I had to look it up as I'd never seen one of these
before. Anyway the sill depth over the bolsters is good but the fishbelly is too shallow
and would have to be deepened. But if the stake pockets are a match this Varney car could
be a good starting point for a kitbash. Also the Varney car has the deck overhang like the
prototype, often seen on farm equipment flats.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391175388139

Tim O'

It does match the Varney Flatcars, both plastic and metal ones. Spotted on eBay�.. I don't
know how much rework you might do on one. You might end up sanding all details off and
using the blanked car to properly detail.
Mike Bauers

Yahoo Groups Links

Yahoo Groups Links