Re: Caboose Lighting?

Charles Peck

I remember a night driving down a road alongside a stopped train and I pulled off, wishing I had a camera.
The marker cast a streak of light along the side of the caboose and one window had an orange glow.
Two other windows had slight glow, reflected light it would seem. The dark cupola was silhouetted against
the sky while someone was standing on the rear platform with a red lantern and a cigarette.
One of those moments, soak it in while wishing there were another way to record it all.
Chuck Peck

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 9:56 PM, jimbetz jimbetz@... [STMFC] <STMFC@...> wrote:

Hi again,

  So when a caboose was going down the road at night and
the lights were on in the interior - was the 'entire' caboose
lit up?
  Or was it some of the windows but not all?  Such as the
entire long end or the entire short end - but not necessarily
both ends?   Were there usually separate switches for each
end of the caboose so someone could sleep even if the
conductor was working at his desk?  Or did his desk have
an individual light shining just on the desk?
  Was there light showing in the cupola windows or just a
slight glow if at all?
  If it is was a bay window were the bay windows pretty
dark and just the end windows were well lit?
                                                                                              - Jim