Re: Determining Rung Spacing When Scratch Building Ladders

gewaldphoto

It's a common trick from drafting to use a ruler or other object with evenly spaced markings on it to divide a line into equal units. The example in the blog post is more complicated than I remember the technique. Much easier than measuring to four decimal points and trying to get a spacing without a strange remainder left over.

No need for the parallel lines at 30 degrees in the blog post. I would recommend just making a right triangle where one side is the distance between the top and bottom rungs of the ladder. The other right angle side would be the bottom rung position on the ladder and would extend out as far as you need it to make the the long end, or hypotenuse, a convenient length. For seven steps that might be 1.5 inches with a mark at each quarter inch or it could be 5/16ths if that is easier, then use a T-square to transfer the marks on the hypotenuse over to the side that corresponds with the distance from the top to the bottom rung. In drafting we had triangle shaped rulers with inches divided in different ways on the 6 different edges. Much easier to use than a standard ruler in inches. One might be in 1/10ths of an inch, another in 1/12ths, another in 1/6ths and so on. Centimeters and millimeters might be easier than inches and fractions of an inch.

You can easily adapt this to any scale, just use bigger spaces on the ruler and angle it so you get enough divisions you need.

Garrett

--
Sent from Postbox