Re: NYC 676-H and other hoppers

Benjamin Hom

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"Regarding this Ted Cullota photo auction of NYC 863278, Lot 676-H

  http://www.ebay.com/itm/121645975572

Jan 29, 2013 -- Ben Hom wrote

'NYC 862000-864999, Lot 676-H
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/lot-676.jpg

This is an example of an NYC car that looks easy to model at first glance, but isn't. At first glance, it looks like an AAR standard offset twin (33 ft IL, 10 ft 8 in top chord above rails), but is actually taller (11 ft top chord above rails) and not as long (31 ft 6 in IL). No easy kitbashes for this car - at this point, stand-ins or scratchbuilding are the best suggestions I can make.'
1940 ORER (new addition) --
   series 862000-865499, 2453 cuft,
31'6" IL, 10'4" IW, 11'0" to extreme height
1950 ORER --
   series 862000-866999, 2210 cuft,
31'6" IL, 10'4" IL, 11'1" to extreme height

OK. Now

 (1) Ben said the 676-H cars were 33' IL. Huh?"

NO.  GO BACK AND READ WHAT I WROTE.  I stated that the AAR offset twin was 33 ft IL, and the NYC Lot 676-H cars were 31 ft 6 in IL.

"(2) The cubic foot capacity of the series CHANGED??? What the heck?"

The first number looks like the heap capacity.  It looks like NYC revised the later number to the car's level capacity.  It might be worth comparing other series of cars in both listings to see if there is the same sort of difference.

"Also, Ben notes the cars are taller than standard AAR hoppers. Also virtually ALL of the
NYC hoppers in the 1950 ORER are 11' tall or TALLER. In fact only ONE series of NYC hoppers
is shorter at 10'9" -- series 867000-867999, Lot 733-H, 2145 cuft, 33'0" IL (ORER data)
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/images/lot-733.jpg

Does this mean the ONLY series of NYC 2-bay hoppers that can be easily modeled (other than

USRA hoppers) are the 1945 built 733-H series, which can only be modeled with the Kadee car?"

Pretty much.  Welcome to the NYCS freight car fleet, where modeling using the low-hanging fruit of available AAR standard freight cars will NOT give you a truly representative fleet.  With the exception of the USRA twin hoppers (along with its original allocations, NYCS acquired large numbers of cars built to the design during the 1920s) and postwar 40 ft AAR boxcars (of which they bought huge numbers), the NYCS' own designs far outnumbered the AAR standard freight car designs.

Ben Hom