Re: first use of large NYC logo

Benjamin Hom

Scott Chatfield asked:
"Was the first use of the large NYC logo/herald on the green & black scheme in 1959, or were some red-brown boxcars painted that way first? I know the "Century" style reporting marks were adopted in 1955, but the photos I've seen of red-brown cars still have the small logos. Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought I remember seeing a red-brown double-door boxcar with the 15-foot wide logo."

1959.  12 cars received a "cigar band" test scheme in November 1958, but I'm not sure if they were red-brown, and all of the cars were 50 ft single door cars from Lots 692-B and 700-B.

Scroll down the page for the paint & lettering information.
http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/NYC-MODELS-FREIGHT.htm

Ben Hom